CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Pretty Bird

A picture of the backyard and a little bird that is currently trapped in it.
I gave the parakeet some water.
A blurry, but more close up, picture of the "pretty Bird."

So, I don't have any pictures of the baby to post yet so I thought I would post some of the little parakeet that somehow got stuck in our backyard. I have been hearing a different sounding chirp all morning but it wasn't until I saw some green flying by the window that it clicked. Anyway, the bird is a friendly little guy. All of our neighbors are gone currently so I am just waiting til anyone of them gets home to ask if this is their bird. If not, I was told to take it to a pet store. My love of animals is telling me to keep it- but yeah right! Its not allowed and the bird might keep my Marshall awake when he should be sleeping. :)
I have a few questions. Last night I had bad contractions again- really close together, but they did go away and I am wondering... When nothing makes them go away except time how am I supposed to know when to go to the hospital or not? More questions: What is the difference between pre-term labor and a braxton hicks? Why can't really pregnant women lift things? How do you know if your baby has dropped? I would appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!

6 comments:

Jami said...

You'll know when it's real labor. I promise. Generally speaking, if you are having regular contractions, drink some water, have a snack and lie down. If they don't go away in about an hour, you should call your doctor. The good thing about your first baby is that labor is usually longer, and it will USUALLY give you plenty of time to get to the hospital. Braxton Hicks contractions are uncomfortable, but not really "painful". They are more just a tightening feeling. They also don't usually change much in intensity. Real labor contractions will keep intensifying, and will really start to get painful. About lifting: The body's connective tissue, ligaments and tendons soften during pregnancy under the effect of progesterone, in preparation for delivery. This puts you at greater risk of injury. You should try to avoid heavy lifting where possible, and if necessary (like when you have another child begging you to hold them), lift with a straight back. You can generally feel a change when the baby has "dropped", and might even be able to see a difference when you look at your belly. There is usually more pain in the pelvic area when the baby's head becomes engaged. I hope some of this helps! Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Dashley said...

Thank you Jami!! I really appreciate the advice and info! :) Do you have a blog?

Jami said...

Yes I do. It's http://milkandcookiesforlunch.blogspot.com/
You can get to it by clicking on my profile name.

Hilary said...

Jami has good advice. In general, however, every person is diffrent in how they experience labor. My advice would be not to worry too much. The fact that you're left wondering how you'll know if you should go to the hospital most likely means you're fine. When it's time to go, you won't be wondering. (i.e. If you're saying -- "Should we go", you're most likely not quite there; there are some exceptions, but don't worry too much about it.)

They generally say to go to the hospital when contractions are every five minutes, but they only say that because they have to say something. For Michelle, by the time she actually realizes she's having contractions, it's too late. For me, regular contractions means absolutely nothing other than that my uterus is getting a good workout.

So...have fun wondering how things will work for you, but don't get too hung up on the timing thing. It's the pain that will let you know it's time to go!!!

And one other thing: I never felt my babies drop, but rumor has it you can tell the baby has dropped because of increased pressure in the pubic area, and because it feels like you can't walk 'cause the baby's head is stuck between your legs. Hey--you're the one who asked! :)

(These statements were not written by a doctor; however, the author sometimes pretends to know it all. Answers will always be provided free of charge, but I recommend keeping a grain of salt handy--just in case!)

Love you Ash!

Brown Family said...

I'm with Hil on never feeling my babies drop, and I done had three! My contractions with Tyler started two minutes apart, and with Zachary they started five minutes apart, but not until we were already headed into the hospital since I hadn't felt him move all day. Maybe you should just pray for your water to break. That's what happened with Shayla. I knew I needed to go to the hospital, but I went back to bed to get a little more sleep first. :) That was my easiest labor yet since I got the epidural before too long. Ahhh ... drugs are wonderful. :)

There is nothing to slow down time more than to enter your 8th month of pregnancy, huh?!? However, you'll do great when the time comes. Good luck!!!

Brown Family said...

I forgot to mention ... even the people at the hospital didn't know whether or not I was really in labor with Zachary. Like I mentioned, my contractions started at five minutes apart, and by the time we got to the hospital they were four minutes apart. After an hour of observation they were 3 minutes apart. They debated about whether or not to send me home. I was sure that I needed to stay, especially since we lived 45 minutes from the hospital!

They decided to let me stay for another hour and see what happened. By now my contractions were 2 minutes apart. So, we started making phone calls to tell people we were staying (even though the nurses said we may not be), and when Paul was on the phone with Hilary my water broke. YES! I'm telling you, go for the broken water ... as if you have any control over how it will happen.

Just wanted you to know that you shouldn't feel stupid if you don't know if you're in labor, because since we're all so different even the professionals don't always know. Like Hil said, though, if you are in so much pain you feel like you should go in, go! :)