CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Marshall broke his radius!

Here is the story of how my sweet boy broke his arm:  Marshall and Elise were over at our neighbors house playing.  A little while later Marshall comes home crying.  They told me he fell off the monkey bars and wouldn't calm down.  He stayed upset for a while and I watched him closely to see if he was playing it out (I know I am a great mother :)) or if he needed medical attention.  I really believed he was fine until he started to show signs of shock.  He started shaking and told me he wanted to take a nap (Hello! the kid hasn't napped since before he turned 3!).  I had also asked him to go outside and ride bikes with his cousin Brynne.  He loves to ride his bike (he mastered two wheels last fall) but all he could do was cradle his arm.  I called the nurse and she told me to press up and down on his arm.  When I did this I felt a bump and also got a very strong reaction from Marshall.  
We decided he needed to see the doctor.  Derek was getting home from work and he and Lee gave Marshall a blessing.  After waiting for what I thought I was a long time Derek called me from the clinic to tell me they had taken x-rays and my little boys arm was broken.  I felt terrible!  I called Hil and asked her to come over to stay with the kids while I took Marshall his special blanket and picked him up a frosty from Wendys.  He was such a trooper thru the whole experience!
Derek and I worried that the hardest part would be having that cast on for 3 weeks because of Marshall's sensory sensitivity (can I use those two words together?) but he did awesome!  Even when they took it off after 2 and a half weeks and had to put one back on for another 2 weeks.  

Going to get it taken off...
 After getting it removed...
We are all a lot happier now that his arm is healed.  After this experience I can tell you that I am not a fan of monkey bars!  But oddly Marshall still is and gets so excited to show me that he can do all of them without stopping every time we go to the park. 
Now I must admit that we were surprised that this was the first break in 5 years for this active boy.  Heres hoping we don't have anymore for at least 5 years but really hoping for never!  :)

0 comments: