CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Marshall, the great big brother

People have been asking us, "How does Marshall do with Elise?" At first he was protective and so sweet with her. Then a lot of things started to change in his world and he started to be more rough with her. This really frustrated me and we struggled for a few weeks trying to figure out what to do. When things calmed down he was acting nicer but still being really rough. I would get so frustrated with him. But then I started to sit back and let him interact with her more. I calmed down and acted more as teacher than protector. World of DIFFERENCE! I missed the boat because all this time Marshall has truly loved his sister but was reacting to us and our apprehension towards him being around her. Now that we show him we trust him he does so much better. Of course, there are jealous times and times when he is so excited to be around her that he can't control himself but on the whole life is good.

Every half hour or so (and sometimes more often than that) he will check on her, inquire about her location (napping in the other room), or tell me she is hungry or needs a new diaper, etc. He is very active in her life. He wants to help. He wants to love her. I think he is an excellent big brother and will always be. I have heard stories of older siblings asking their parents to take their new baby brother or sister back to the hospital or back in Mommy's tummy but Marshall never has. He includes her in everything we do. "Can Elise come with us?" is a question I hear anytime we go anywhere. When I say yes he excitedly gets in her face and tells her where we are going and that she gets to come. I love it. I hope Elise can love it too. She seems entertained by her brother (aren't we all?) and alerts me to when he is being rough, which surprisingly isn't that often. Maybe this is because she is just tough. :)

Here are the little darlings. I honestly can't express the love I have for these two gifts from heaven. Of course life is frustrating at times and a lot more busy but it is SOO worth it.

3 comments:

Brown Family said...

Maybe they'll be like my kids -- we can't do 1:1 with them, because they WANT their siblings there with them. Love it when they get along. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you found a method that is working with Marshall. I just love that he always wants Elise to go with you in the car and gets so excited when you say yes.

ZiggyandFamily said...

What a gift you have been given to be able to think of each situation as a teaching moment and not a discipline problem. :) It has and will continue to make a world of difference in how your children react to each other!!!