Memorial Day is a whole different "holiday" to me now than it has been in the past. This has a lot to do with my new appreciation for family history mixed in with a little maturity :). This past memorial day was very special for my family. We live hundreds of miles from home so visiting graves didn't seem like an option but actually my Dad grew up in Ontario and we have family buried there and also in the LA area. We were able to visit the grave of my Great Grandfather James Thomas Ross (Meredith). I never got to meet this man; he died when my Dad was just about to graduate high school. He had a really hard life. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to dwell on on the sad parts and I understand that people change. I do know that based on the way I feel, and the good parts my Dad has told me, he was a kind-hearted man that loved my Dad.
He doesn't have a gravestone and I am unsure of all the reasons. One day I would like to get him one. For now we lay flowers for a headstone- bright happy yellow ones!

Being at his graveside and thinking about his life I felt very close to him and my other ancestors. I developed a strong desire to teach my children the importance of memorial day and remembering always loved ones that have gone on. I know that one day I will get to meet these important men and women and thank them.

positioning the flowers- it seemed so important to me to have them just right

and the sweet one sleeps through it all...

Memorial day is family appreciation day. It has come and gone already this year but happy late family appreciation day- I love you!!!
2 comments:
What a sweet idea. We've never done anything that special for Memorial Day. I like your idea! Thanks for sharing.
I love the thoughts and the flower headstone.
Post a Comment