The word toddler brings many thoughts to my mind: change is hard and there is much anxiety, at the drop of a hat the world is turned upside down, negotiation and bribing have begun, the guilt of too many movies watched sets in, etc etc... Here is a song that sums up being a toddler- you may have heard it on the radio. They only play it a few times a day :):
You're hot then your cold
You're yes then your no
You're in then your out
You're up then your down...
A saying in our house has become: "If Marshall isn't happy than nobody is happy!" And all this time people thought the saying went, "If Mama isn't happy than nobody is happy! HA!!
Having said all this I realize the reader may begin to worry that I am having a hard time with my toddler and new situation. Yes, it is hard but I have actually honestly never been happier. With the postpartum comes strong emotions. I feel sadness to a deeper level as I feel happiness at a deeper level. I have never loved Marshall more than I do now (unfortunately I have never been so angry as I get with him now either). But I will take it! We are adjusting and although it is hard it is also so very sweet.
My heart melts when:
-Marshall hugs and kisses Elise.
-Elise cries and Marshall tells her, "Its ok Lise, Mama is coming. Don't cry!"
-Marshall excitedly tells just about anyone (including our mailman the other day) all about his baby sister and how he is a great big brother!
-Marshall exclaimed to me this morning, "I love my family!"
-My baby girl smiles at me (involuntary muscle movement or not- soooo sweet!)
-Marshall willingly gets Elise a binkie, burp cloth, diaper (with or without me asking)
-Marshall attacks Derek with hugs when he walks in the door from work exclaiming, "Dada dada dada dada!"
So, to sum it up- LIFE IS GOOD. Marshall is the life of the party and you can't help but bust up over every other thing he says (appropriate or not, naughty or not). Elise is sweet and you can't help but feel warm and fuzzy just by looking at her.
Here's to another week of patience and a heart full of love!

6 comments:
Great thoughts. I think you summed it up perfectly. Your children are absolutely precious.
I hear ya! And eventually it will turn into things getting much easier--especially when your oldest is doing the right thing...then the Youngest kids will just follow suit without you really needing to teach them! It's when the oldest isn't doing things right that it gets hard--then you have double time! (: Something tells me that oldest child is pretty important... what do you think? (:
You're a great mom...and I love your positive attitude!
Glad you posted this! I have been fearing what life with 2 will be like when when decide to have another baby. Definitely scares me!
Toddlers are hard whether or not you have a baby. It's just the nature of toddlers. But they DO get easier! (I asked someone that once and they said it just gets hard in different ways. Nope -- much easier when kids can fend for themselves most everywhere you go!!!) And don't feel guilty for too many movies -- it is true that if mama isn't happy the house isn't happy, and with a new baby a few extra movies won't make too much difference before you're back up and at 'em. :)
Holy smokes. Marshall looks so grown up!
Love the reflections!! Keep up the good work!! As you say work is fun and had great rewards at the end of each day!!
Post a Comment