I had a meeting right at 7 which is when Derek was getting out of lab so I dropped Marshall off at the school. I was in such a hurry that I quickly put Marshall in his stroller for Derek to walk him home. I assumed that Derek was going to let Marshall stay at the school and play so I didn't worry about buckling him in. But Derek decided to take him right home and thought I had buckled him in. See where this is going?
So Marshall loves to push buttons and especially the crosswalk buttons. When Derek is with us he will lift Marshall up (stroller and all) so he can reach the button. This time was no different EXCEPT for one BIG detail- Marshall wasn't buckled in. So he tumbled right out in midair coming down hard on the lamppost before hitting the ground. My poor little guy gashed his head right open. But he was so good and stopped screaming after only a few minutes and remained calm (and even hyper!) until they put the stitches in!
His shirt explains the title of the post-

To be honest I have been waiting for something like this to happen. Marshall is very busy and very daring. His new thing at the pool is to let go of the side and go under water. I am always right there but he is so quick that it usually happens at least once or twice. And after each time he comes up so excited and if you ask him, "Did you go under water?" he joyfully says, "YEAH!" A few weeks ago at a school social he dove off one of the couches head first and got up without even a fuss. Even in the emergency room he was climbing up on chairs and running around and I think everyone was waiting for him to fall again and have to get even more stitches. Anyway, I am just hoping this is the worst of it.
One more quick story about getting the stitches. While the doctor was sewing him we tried to distract him so we were asking him questions like, "Do you want to go to the park tomorrow?" and "Do you like playing with your trains?" To most of these questions he answered us with a sobbing, "YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!" When we asked him what a train said he sobbed, "CHOOOOOOOOOO (sniffle sniffle) CHOOOOO!" Very sweet.
In the end our little guy was a real trooper. We were prepared with a sucker and he immediately stopped crying and chomped on that. And only a few times today did he notice the bandage and whine a little. What a tough little guy!
Here he is wearing his "toga." He randomly pulled it out of the closet one day and handed it to Derek who tied it around his waste. He loved it and now wants us to tie it around him at least once or twice a day. So funny!

3 comments:
So sorry he cut his forehead, but I'm so glad you weren't there to see it! Hopefully you survived as well as he did in the ER. :) He's tough -- he'll probably get a few more cuts and bumps, all of which will be worse for you than for him! I so don't look forward to the day of our first stitches ...
Poor little guy! Glad that he is ok.
I'll admit that I was somewhat disappointed not to see a picture of the actual stitches. I guess it makes sense that they would be covered so he can't pull on them or anything, but see if you can't sneak a picture of them when you're changing the bandage or something. :) (And no, I don't thrive off blood and gore...)
Post a Comment