Day 1: Dad took us to a Dodger's game and got us EXCELLENT seats! We got to see Nomar Garciapara (my favorite player and originally from the Red Sox), Manny Ramirez (a punk but I love him anyway), and Joe Torre (just cool to see the famous former Yankees coach). Marshall was really good throughout even when we got stuck in slow traffic on the way home. :) I forgot the camera in the car so this is a picture of us with LA in the background- didn't turn out too well but I just had to take one picture by Dodger Stadium!
Days 2-3: We went back and forth from the temple (long sad story). Basically we weren't able to do some of the work we would have liked to but being with my Dad and spending even a little bit of time at the temple was splendid. Finally Wednesday night we all three got to go to the temple while a nice girl from Derek's class stayed with Marshall. Tuesday night we went to a family history library in Orange and it was the bomb! We learned a little bit about the new family search program- very exciting!Day 4: We visited Ontario where my Dad grew up. We saw parks where he played ball as a child, the cemetery where his grandfather was buried, his childhood home and the pool his Dad built, the movie theater he frequented, and his high school. I really enjoyed this time to learn more about my father's background and picture him as a child and a teenager.

Here is a picture of my Dad putting flowers on my Great Grandfather Ross/Meredith (yes, theres a good story there about how we could have been Merediths). This was a solemn moment in time for me. I didn't ever get to meet this man but I felt a connection with him and a longing for him to be happy and at rest. His life was hard and so we picked out some happy yellow daisies for him.
And I couldn't get the darn computer to move these pics so, a little out of order, here is Dad's final day with us. Marshall warmed up to Grandpa after just a day and they became real good buds. Dad layed down to do some exercises for his shoulder and back and Marshall came right over and climbed on top of him. Here they are sharing a moment.
Another fun one- "the guys just hanging out."
Oh, I am so mad- I had a really great picture of Dad and Marshall next to the pool my Grandpa Ross built and it erased! But here is the picture of my Dad's childhood home. The people living there have kept it up really nice and they let us go into the backyard. Dad told me he and his brothers broke one particular window (numerous times)there in the front playing baseball. He also showed me the "basketball court" where he spent hours of his childhood perfecting his game. The people are selling it and I wish I had the money to purchase it- just for sentimental reasons, maybe if money grew on trees. Sigh.
Continuing with the tour...This is where my Dad attended highschool. The picture shows the auditorium. My Dad was a Chaffey High Tiger!
Ontario has a long strip of Eucalyptus trees down the main street. Many of them had to be removed because the smog killed them but there are still some left as well as other pretty trees and the scene is just beautiful.
There are many more pictures and memories I would like to have posted but the main idea is that last week was absolutely wonderful and I will never forget those special moments with my Dad. Saying goodbye is always hard- I somehow always feel I am getting left behind, BUT! There is A REASON TO SMILE because instead of sulking and missing my Dad and busy husband I am going to be busy doing family history work! I must say that there are few things comparable to the depth of gratitude and sense of accomplishment associated with doing this work. I have a fascination now that I have never had before. I couldn't get enough stories from my Dad! I can't wait to meet these people. My Dad gave me a book of one of our family lines and I have been busy putting that into a PAF file. The stories are both sad and happy and, as is my nature, I feel a deep sorrow for for the mothers that lost children, the fathers that lost spouses and so on. I always feel better remembering that they are together now and excited that I am doing their family history! So, even though I miss my Dad and busy husband there is indeed A REASON TO SMILE!

5 comments:
I bet you had so much fun! Good luck on your family history!
Marshall kind of reminds me of Dinah. If someone is on the floor, the only possible reason would be to play with Marshall. :) I love the pictures and the history sharing.
If you haven't already taken new pics on your digital camera, there may be a way to recover the one you accidentaly deleted. Paul did it once for me, so seek out some computer whiz and check it out.
We LOVE the new genealogy system, but they won't offer it to people in Utah yet. They're totally overloaded with people outside of Utah, so they're waiting to get a handle on it to introduce it here. I asked someone who works for the church when that would be (this was back in March), and he said at least August. Still no word on us being able to use it. I think when we can it will make genealogy so much easier that tons of work will be done!
What a fun week! I would have LOVED to be on the "tour" with Dad. I remember them showing us around on a trip to Utah when I was young, but I could not fully appreciate it then.
I must tell you that I got a really good laugh out of the two pictures of Marshall laying with Dad. The funny part is that Dad isn't wearing his glasses for the second picture -- hmmm, wonder why he's not wearing them anymore? :)
That's so great that he was able to come and visit and spend time with you guys! Looks like you did a lot of fun and great things! It sure is fun to have family come!
Post a Comment