So we were lucky to have Hilary, Morgan, and Melissa come to pick up Brynne at the end of her visit. Mostly a low-key visit but I was so excited to show Hilary where Derek works and where we now call home.
My kids adore Hilary! Elise made Hilary's lap her permanent residence while she was here. When they had gone Marshall would (and still does) often lament missing Aunt Hilary and wanting to call her.
My kids adore Hilary! Elise made Hilary's lap her permanent residence while she was here. When they had gone Marshall would (and still does) often lament missing Aunt Hilary and wanting to call her.

Melissa....oh my. Oh my. So. dang. cute. 
The most special part of the trip was going to Rock Creek. ANYthing to do with the pioneers is special. Growing up, much of the foundation of my testimony was built on those early saint's faith and dedication. Oh, how I love the pioneers.
Upon arriving to this sacred ground we gathered around the memorial/tombstone listing names of saints that did not make it past this point. Though all the kids felt something of this special place, I think Morgan and Brynne understood the most. At one point, Brynne said something to the effect that she didn't know whether to laugh or cry because of the way she felt inside. I loved that and I love this picture- Morgan's eyes were fixated on the names and you could tell she felt something for them.

I remember going to the dedication of Rock Creek as a youth and hearing President Hinckley dedicate this sacred ground. After the dedication a line of people waited to go past this memorial and pay their respects. I remember one woman with tears streaming down her face knelt down and kissed the tombstone. I will never forget how sacred and special that moment was.
Here is Hilary and I in front of the memorial.

We all walked into the little cove and ate lunch by the Rock Creek River. Derek told us stories of his stake helping prepare the site and his stake president working very closely with the first presidency. It was quiet and beautiful.

Marshall and Elise had fun exploring around the river.
At the end of our little trip Derek dug up a box that he and his stake had buried as youth. The plan was to dig up the box which contained pictures, testimonies, and aspirations for the future of each youth ten years later. Derek was in charge of the activity so he decided he would dig it up and then mail everyone's "letter" to each youth. Well, it turned into a big bummer because the box, which was so carefully done, was water logged. All the paper was destroyed except for a few pictures- which were really funny to see. There is one of Derek busting a dance move. Classic. A fun experience especially sharing it with the girls who really enjoyed helping Uncle Derek.

The most special part of the trip was going to Rock Creek. ANYthing to do with the pioneers is special. Growing up, much of the foundation of my testimony was built on those early saint's faith and dedication. Oh, how I love the pioneers.
Upon arriving to this sacred ground we gathered around the memorial/tombstone listing names of saints that did not make it past this point. Though all the kids felt something of this special place, I think Morgan and Brynne understood the most. At one point, Brynne said something to the effect that she didn't know whether to laugh or cry because of the way she felt inside. I loved that and I love this picture- Morgan's eyes were fixated on the names and you could tell she felt something for them.

I remember going to the dedication of Rock Creek as a youth and hearing President Hinckley dedicate this sacred ground. After the dedication a line of people waited to go past this memorial and pay their respects. I remember one woman with tears streaming down her face knelt down and kissed the tombstone. I will never forget how sacred and special that moment was.
Here is Hilary and I in front of the memorial.

We all walked into the little cove and ate lunch by the Rock Creek River. Derek told us stories of his stake helping prepare the site and his stake president working very closely with the first presidency. It was quiet and beautiful.

Marshall and Elise had fun exploring around the river.

At the end of our little trip Derek dug up a box that he and his stake had buried as youth. The plan was to dig up the box which contained pictures, testimonies, and aspirations for the future of each youth ten years later. Derek was in charge of the activity so he decided he would dig it up and then mail everyone's "letter" to each youth. Well, it turned into a big bummer because the box, which was so carefully done, was water logged. All the paper was destroyed except for a few pictures- which were really funny to see. There is one of Derek busting a dance move. Classic. A fun experience especially sharing it with the girls who really enjoyed helping Uncle Derek.

On our way back to the car...
I am so grateful we got to share this experience with Hilary and her family. Rock Creek is truly sacred ground. Being there makes you want to be better in every way. The best way to honor these great men and women is by putting faith in every footstep, just like they did.

1 comments:
Oh man, you make me feel so loved!!! I love your kids! I am bummed about the box - I hadn't heard about it being water logged. :( That really was a fun visit, and the spiritual boost from Rock Creek was well worth getting home later!
Post a Comment